Your guide to moving to a city for the first time
Moving to a major city for the first time can be intimidating and confusing. You’ve got to find an apartment, pick up the local slang, and meet people in a brand new environment. We know how hard it can be to take it all in and feel at home, so take it one step at a time.
Start with these beginner guides to major cities, and simplify your move with Common.
Moving to a brand new city for the first time
- Biggest mistakes people make when moving to a big city
- Touring matters — here’s why
- How to make friends in a brand new city
- How to feel at home in a new city
- Things I wish I knew before moving out
- How much should I be spending on rent?
- Questions to ask when looking for an apartment
- How to survive an expensive city on a budget
Moving to New York City
- A beginner’s guide to New York
- How to move to New York
- 5 NYC apartment hunting tips you need to know
- How to find your scene in New York City
Moving to San Francisco
Moving to LA
Moving to Chicago
Moving to Washington, DC
Moving to Seattle
Moving into Common
Moving into Common means you don’t have to worry about furnishing your new home, meeting new people, and chores. Your first move to a brand new city got a whole lot easier. Learn more about our coliving homes across all major US cities.