What is the application process like for Common?
The application process at Common is easy, and most of it can be done online or virtually. Read on for a break down of each step in the application process.
Let us know what you’re looking for
What city are you looking to live in? What’s your budget? When do you want to move in? Applicants can provide us with all this information through our website, along with their email and phone number. We match applicants to the available homes that fit their criteria and then schedule a call between them and one of our leasing agents.
Take a tour
If an applicant is interested in seeing a space, they can schedule a tour of their preferred home — either in person or virtually.
Apply for a lease
There are several steps to applying for a lease at Common. We’ve explained them below, but our leasing managers are always available to answer any additional questions during the process.
- Applicants pay a non-refundable application fee that takes their room off the market. For move-ins within the next 30 days, this fee will be $300, and for move-ins 30 or more days out, this will be $600. If the application is approved, and the applicant moves forward with the lease, this fee will be applied to their rent.
- When the applicant gets closer to their move-in date, they’ll pay the full first month’s rent and a non-refundable security deposit, which will be applied to their second month’s rent.
- Background and financial checks:
- One of our leasing administrators will send an email to the applicant requesting financial information and submission for a criminal background check. To be eligible to live at Common, applicants must make 40x the monthly rent in yearly income.
- If applicants don’t have a SSN to provide for a background check, they can also provide us with a visa or passport number. Background checks take 1-3 days to complete but can take up to 5.
- In lieu of a credit check, we ask applicants to submit any of the following:
- 2 months of pay stubs if employed full-time
- 6 months of 1099s if you are a freelancer
- A bank balance statement
- A letter of employment with salary details
- Once the applicant is approved, the applicant will receive the lease and membership agreements and will have 48 hours to review and sign the documents as well as pay the security deposit and first full month’s rent. The on-boarding email will have a unique link that takes them to Common’s site so that they can sign their membership and license agreements, and set up their payment information.
- A US bank account is needed for the monthly ACH bank transfer (international members can use a credit card for a 2.9% fee). Although we vastly prefer digital methods of payment, we can also accept check or even cash where the law requires.
Moving into Common
Once the applicant’s application has been accepted, and they’ve paid the necessary fees, they’re all set to move in on their move-in date. For more information on that process, please visit our blog post here.
Take a free tour of our beautiful coliving homes today, and start the leasing process.
More about coliving at Common:
How do you move into Common?
What’s included in the rent?
Types of coliving: studios, microunits, coliving, traditional
How renewing your lease works at Common
How to transfer from one Common home to another
Your biggest questions about Common answered